2017 was one of the best years of my life! It was a year of continued growth, and full of traveling and many adventures. It was a year of developing new friendships and pushing myself past my comfort zone. And the best yet, 2017 was the year I married my best friend and our life long journey together began.
Like I’ve said before, I don’t like to make ‘New Years Resolutions,’ because I feel like everyday we should be working toward bettering ourselves! Plus, lets be honest…after the first few months the excitement of the resolutions usually fades away. Instead of ‘Resolutions’ I like to start new goals and continue with ones I previously had been working on.
Now, what’s a better way to stay accountable to these goals than sharing them with you all?
Megans 2018 Goals
- Be more Eco-Friendly: Kwin and I have always tried to live more of a “green” lifestyle. We love our planet and all the beauty that it provides us! Our house runs on geothermal energy and we bought a small wind turbine (plan on installing it this upcoming spring) to hopefully create some wind energy (northern Michigan is known for it’s windy weather). We also have decreased our trash we accumulate by recycling more and having a compost bin! This year I want to be better about using recyclable produce and grocery bags at the stores, unplugging things from outlets when we aren’t using them, and continue to use non-chemical household items (one of my favorites are the Norwex brand, check them out here!)
- Read More: growing up I hated reading, especially during school-when you were usually forced to read books that you didn’t enjoy. However, as I’ve gotten older my love for reading has returned. My goal this year is to spend 5-10 minutes before bed reading a book, and not surfing through Instagram and Facebook!
- Yoga: Stress occurs in everybody’s life, and how we deal with it differs amongst everyone. Some people sit and meditate, listen to music, go for a run or maybe even stress eat! I’ve tried them all, but not until last year did I realize how amazing Yoga really helped me. I use to think it was boring, slow, and a waste of time..but just like reading, as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to really appreciate it! Yoga allows you to escape from reality and get in your own world, to stretch and recover, and become more familiar with yourself. I’m really excited to start incorporating this more often!
- Build my blogging platform: What exactly do I mean by this? I love writing blogs, but sometimes feel like what I have to say would have no importance to anyone. I need to get out of my comfort zone and just DO IT. I plan to write more blogs and be more proactive with what I am posting. I hope to make connect with companies that I believe in, and maybe develop partnerships. I want my blog to grow into a place that inspires others regarding health, nutrition and an overall happy lifestyle.
- Increase my cooking creativity and eat more wholesome foods: Kwin and I try to eat 80/20 (healthy/non-healthy) foods, but like everyone we get caught eating processed foods occasionally. After being in New Zealand and seeing the fresh ingredients that people were using to cook with I became inspired! I love cooking, but have a tendency of making the same things and using processed/easy ingredients. This year I hope to not buy as much processed things (like black bean burgers) and instead make my own, and get out of my comfort zone (yes, again) and make new things! RECIPE SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
- Continue to live a well balanced life: In the past I’ve struggled with obsessing over exercise and foods. 2017 I found myself, I found balance…AND IT FEELS GREAT! Kwin always says “train for life” and I completely agree with him! I hope to continue with what I have learned this past year and continue to live a happy, healthy and active lifestyle.
- Increase my knowledge about holistic health: Being a nurse, I am fairly educated on the ways of western medicine (what it taught in nursing/medical school). However, this is not the only form of medicine out there! Holistic medicine has always been extremely interesting to me; especially herbal medicine, acupuncture, and essential oils. This year I hope to read more and become more familiar with the alternative measures to living a happy and healthy life. Ways that doesn’t completely revolved around pills. I want to be able to teach to my patients and help them make lifestyle changes to help PREVENT them from coming into the hospital!
Although 2017 was an amazing year for myself, I have a feeling that 2018 is going to be even better! Happy New Year everyone, and I hope that all your goals and New Years Resolutions help guide you to living a happier and healthier life.